Sunday, August 21, 2005

A Man on a Bike ...

One of the questions I have heard asked in the last few months in thinkin and talking about emerging expressions of the body of Christ is - "what will it look like?" What will an incarnational/missional expression of the body of Christ look like?

If you want to read an amazing book that does that question serious justice - then check out "The Shaping of Things to Come" by Michael Frost and Alan Hirsch. If you wanna check it out - here's the Amazon link:

The Shaping of Things to Come

Anyhow - with the thought of what a missional/incarnational body of Christ look like - on my mind - we as a family were on our way to attend church a couple of Sunday mornings ago. It was a church that we had not been to before but we had arranged to meet some of our family there this particular morning. As has happened before on this Sabbatical - I/We got lost. We had promised to meet our family there and now we couldn't find the place. I wanted to use the intuitive approach (ie - just drive around aimlessly until we stumbled across the church) but my wife wouldn't allow it - so as we stopped at an intersection waiting for the light to change - she noticed a man riding up beside us on a bike. She rolled down the window and said we were lost and could he help us with directions to the particular street that the church was on.

After putting his head down to think and trying to come up with the location for us - he let out a frustrated sigh and said that he had had a rough morning and a tough week and for that matter a tough life and and that he really wasn't sure where the road was. In fact he wasn't sure about much of anything as he said he felt so discouraged and frustrated that he was thinking about ending his life.

That's a little awkward for first thing on a Sunday morning now isn't it. What would you have done? What would you have thought about?

Now - here's what happened at that poignant intersection. I wanted so much to "be the church" for this man and the thought came into my mind immediately that we could offer to take him to breakfast and love him like Jesus would love him for a while that morning. But as soon as that desire came in - the corresponding thought also came in that we had commitments/expectations and people were counting on us to join them at "church". So as he peddled away to who knows where - we drove away and I sat in a stunned and nummed silence. Les, Travis, Leah and Grace (for once!) all sat silently trying to make sense of what had just happened. We all knew that something had indeed happened, we just couldn't put words to it yet. At that point "going to church" seemed about as ridiculous as wearing a parkha here in 100 degree heat.

As I have reflected on that moment - and what felt so awkward about going to church - wasn't that church was bad - in fact the gathering was really good. The sermon was good and as part of our time in prayer we gathered around a young 19 year old marine who's unit had been called up and was heading to Iraq the next morning. That gathered community would mean everything to him as he shipped out. I thought how important and beautiful these people were to him. The time of musical worship was great too - and I thought perhaps how this community's fragrance would be pleasing to God.

No - it wasn't that there was anything wrong with the place or the people and I'm sure some of you are asking - why didn't I just invite him to church with us? It certainly seemed like it could have made a difference to him. I guess I'm wondering why I felt as though I couldn't just drop every plan I had and go with him and "be the body" and why I felt like inviting him to church wasn't an option either? In short - why did I feel stuck between a rock and a hard place?

Most likely because for most of my life I have lived with the "unspoken rules" of an attractional model of church. The attractional model asks the question what can I do to help "attract" people to church? What ideas, programs and events will make it possible for people to come and get connected to the church? At that moment with someone I didn't know - I had nothing but my attractional model and asking him to join me on "my turf" so to speak, just didn't seem to make much sense - wasn't there another way to let this man meet Jesus?

But what if I had simply just invited him to breakfast and been the incarnate body of Christ to him that way? What if I lived every moment of every day with that outlook?

In considering that moment and trying to answer the question what will a missional/incarnational body of Christ look like - I guess it will be one in which people have the freedom to seize the moment and love radically, joining God in the moment and change plans and traditions in order to be a cup of cold water to someone in need. Even if it means having to swim against the "unspoken rules" of "attendance" or "expectations" to be at a place the priority over giving the gospel hands and feet. Here's an example to perhaps its most extreme - wouldn't it be cool to be gathered on a Sunday morning and have someone come and anounce that the speaker/teacher that morning was not able to be there because they were living in a moment of incarnational love - responding to the need of someone they pulled up next to in their car on their way to the building that morning?! That kind of community freedom would be amazing and radical and yes, annoying for some who have come to expect certain things at certain times. I'm sure - that God would not be caught off guard as a servant obeyed His spirit and He would take care of His gathered bride as they met. That's the kind of community - I long for the church to be. Is it different? Does it defy norms and expectations? Absolutely! Is it messy? Definitley - but what a testimony of radical love and grace!

The story here also helps to illustrate what I think is one difference between the missional/incarnational body - which looks for and is given the freedom to respond immediately if prompted by God's spirit to the needs around, and the attractional model which works diligently to get people to "church". It's about location - one asks how can we be the church in the world - the other asks how can we get people to church. I envision the church being a "people who" are loved by God and who practice His love in dynamic and out of the norm ways, and that characteristic makes the "place where" a much more attractive place to be.

Peace.

8 Comments:

Blogger Robyn said...

The church is not a buliding where people come to pray, its not made out of sticks and stones its not made out of clay, cause WE are the church, the body of our Lord, we are all his children and we have been restored!!
Your post sure made me think. Reminded me of something that happened out at Luther Village, in Kenora.
Safe driving!!

7:39 AM  
Blogger Lambrick staff said...

dean ... stumbled on a mini-synopsis of "the Shape of Things to Come" at:

http://www.nextreformation.com/2005/08/church-or-community.html#comments

I really HAVE to learn how to do links, right? anyways for what it is worth for the folks who are interested.

don

9:55 AM  
Blogger Lambrick staff said...

dean ... stumbled on a mini-synopsis of "the Shape of Things to Come" at:

http://www.nextreformation.com/2005/08/church-or-community.html#comments

I really HAVE to learn how to do links, right? anyways for what it is worth for the folks who are interested.

don

9:56 AM  
Blogger Dean said...

Hey Chris,

Great points! I think we may be "comparing" apples and oranges a bit here - but if you are into fish tacos - let's talk, I think you'd like Wahoo's too!

Anyhow, my big picture comment is that "programs" are not bad, but if they are not "on mission" - that is fulfilling their purpose, then they are using and thus misusing people's valuable time and also keeping people from pursuing the appropriate biblical purpose.

Even though this "mission-drift" may be supported by people who like what's happening anyways. That's my main concern that although it "looks good" it has drifted away from it's biblical purpose. I have experienced that phenonenon in 14 years of ministry.

The metaphor of Wahoo's was about paying attention and not simply "using" something that we like or that works in one place and transposing it to another place. It should never be "plug and play".

As for the story of my encounter with the man on the bike, I hear you. I do think that perhaps if followers of Jesus just saw these kinds of moments as opportunities to "love one another" without strings attached instead of using a meal as an opportunity to pursue an agenda - albeit an important one, then I think the "Amyway Christian" cliche would be balanced by those "good samaritans" who simply love radically and let the Holy Spirit do what only the Holy Spirit can do anyways.

I think one thing that seems to characterize those with a passion for God expressed in what you might call an "emerging church" is not to force anyone to "change" and be like them. I hear them simply asking for a chance to express themselves biblically in their relationship with God and that seems to be in a way that is different than what others are used to. Not better or worse but different. Those with an "emerging mindset" don't seem to be categorized by age or generation though which is great. True there are some with an "emerging" perspective that speak or shout louder than others and that may tend to communicate that everyone else needs to be like them and at times that can seem arrogant but there are also those who resist (vocally and in others ways) allowing others to express their relationship with God differently than what they feel comfortable with, and that is just as disheartening.

Hey thanks for reading and interacting! It's a great journey!

Peace.

Dean

8:22 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Now that you are back, how is all your new learning going to influence your ministry?

can't wait to hear.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Shan said...

hello there, discussion... anyways, came looking for more entries and apparently there are none... I know you're not on sabbatical anymore, but I think you're still on the journey...(?) so how goes it...?

8:45 AM  
Blogger Dean said...

Hey Shannon,

Yep - the journey continues but the blogging has stagnated - something about the "tyranny of the urgent" or something like that. I'm reading and thinking and will get the passion to blog something soon.

Peace!

7:08 PM  
Blogger Shan said...

awesome, in the meantime, thanks for your comments on www.drdreaming.blogspot.com and looking forward to Winter Advance - I have some ideas to promote at the "World Awareness" booth for April and getting some volunteers: www.starfishdinnerofhope.blogspot.com has details... I'll be checking in *whenever I can* from South America... adios!

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home